Pauley Perrette Speaks Out on Quitting Acting for an Authentic Life

Tommaso Boddi/Getty Images for Los Angeles LGBT Center


Why the Former Star of NCIS, Pauley Perrette, Claims She'll Never Act Again


Pauley Perrette, who is best known for her work as forensic scientist Abby Sciuto on NCIS, officially confirmed that she has indeed left the world of acting for good. In a rare interview with Hello! magazine, Perrette opened up about why she walked away from Hollywood and let everyone know that she has no intention of ever coming back to the screen.


I Will Never Return to Acting


I will never again go back to acting,  she insists during an interview. "What the acting career brought me I appreciate forever, but it is no longer a part of my future.". I'm not ungrateful for all the benefits that it gave me, but I'm a different person now. She explained further that she now values authenticity in life, wants to experience everything — good, bad, and painful. I want to be me all the time," she said, adding that making this decision took courage, but it reflects how she feels today.


From Fame with NCIS to a New Beginning

Photo: Darren Michaels/CBS ©2015 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved


Her role as Abby Sciuto in the series NCIS from 2003 to 2018 became Perrette's fan favorite. She later took the lead as Jackie on the CBS sitcom Broke. The series was cancelled at the end of the first season in 2020, and Perrette quit acting shortly afterwards.


These days she is more interested in working for causes she believes in. She has entered documentary filmmaking and, indeed, even produced Studio One Forever, a film at least as much about the untold story of Los Angeles' iconic disco that became an emblem of hope in the 1970s and 1980s, by what she admits is at this point of her life a profound need for authenticity in everything she does. "Being an actor was such a huge escape," she says, "but it wasn't real.". My character didn't have all the problems that I was having in my own life." by Rolonda Watts


A New Commitment to Truth and Authenticity


Her commitment to leading a truthful life extends far beyond her decision to retire from acting. "I only watch documentaries now," she said. "I want the truth. For me, going back to being an actor would take away from this life of true authenticity that I'm living 100% of the time."


All this current fodder for her covert activities will drive her work forward, as she continues to explore projects that reflect values and passions that she holds dear.


The Controversy Surrounding Her Leaving from NCIS


She left in controversy. And in 2019, for the first time following their departure from the show, she spoke out about her fears of co-star Mark Harmon, writing on X, "NO I AM NOT COMING BACK! EVER! (Please stop asking?) I am terrified of [Mark] Harmon and him attacking me. I have nightmares about it.".


A recent report claims that an on-set incident involving a dog bite and build-up tensions with Harmon had led to her exit. The network responded in itself, saying that the network is "committed to a safe work environment on all our shows," but Perrette remains silent, insisting that she will never return to NCIS or any acting role.

New Page for Pauley Perrette


But that's not really what matters now. Pauley Perrette comes out on stage, but into new life. She grasps it all with energy and purpose. She is using her medium to make a difference by doing the kind of work that aligns with what she believes in, so everything she does is infused with truth and sincerity. Her shift into producing and documentary filmmaking continues to make a difference — just in a different way.


The fans of Perrette will, of course miss her on the small screen, but what sets her commitment to real life living as well as for meaningful projects speaks for itself that she keeps moving on in a way true to herself.